PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE GARBAGE AT THE TOWN HALL SITE AS THAT IS CONSIDERED DUMPING. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR GARBAGE BY OUR DUMPSTER OR ITEMS FOR THE TOWN TO DISPOSE OF, THIS IS CONSIDERED DUMPING AND ALL VIOLATIONS AND PENATIES WILL APPLY.
As many residents of Kinnickinnic Township are aware we have a brand new recycling center that has been open since mid summer, 2008. This new structure replaced the old recycling center that was destroyed during a wind storm at the end of summer 2007. This storm pushed the old recycling center off its foundation and rolled it a number of times with the structure a total loss. Before the construction of the new recycling center we were using a shipping container that provided a shelter but was hard to open and since it was air tight, became somewhat of an odor nuisance during the warm weather we experienced late last summer and earlier this spring.
During the spring of 2008 the Kinnickinnic Town Board was approached by Eagle Scout candidate Brian Tallman who presented plans for a new recycling center he would build along with his Scout Troop as his Eagle Scout project. The Town Board voted in favor of this project and set aside funds for the materials needed. The new recycling center was completed midsummer and is a wonderful addition to our town. Many thanks to Brian and his troop for a job well done! This recycling center should be adequate for the needs of the town for many years to come.
Our recycling center is open to residents of Kinnickinnic Township and is open the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of each month. The center is open 8:00 am until 12:00 pm on these days.
There has been some confusion over what type of recycling may be left at the recycling center. The following is a list of acceptable items that may be left at the center, only when the center is open.
• Newspaper, cardboard, magazines and other paper products suitable for recycling, like office paper. Bundled or put in brown paper bags.
• Metal ( food cans, pop cans, etc. tin and aluminum, flattened will take up less space)
• Plastics ( #1 and #2 caps removed)
• Glass products, Rinsed and caps removed
The recycling center contains a number of large bins labeled either Glass, plastic and Metal or Cardboard. Please place all recycling materials into the appropriate bin and close the lid to help keep pests out of the building. Recycling material may only be left during open hours.
January 2009, St. Croix County will be adopting a new Recycling Ordinance; leaving items at the recycling center at off hours, according to the new Ordinance could be subject to stiff penalties and fines.
Examples of items not accepted at our recycling center are:
• Tires and Motor oil, and batteries ( bring to River Falls Tire, or Jerry’s Inc
• Appliances (St. Croix County has a countywide collection twice a year. Think about disposal of these items when purchasing them, there will be a cost. Veolia in Roberts, 749-1700.)
• Cookware, and gently use furniture. ( Treasure’s of the Heart, Second Chance, Veolia in Roberts, 749-1700)
• Carpet, (check with your hauler, some will pick it up if it is cut into 3 foot strips.)
• Propane tanks, ( Lake Gas in Roberts, 749-3918)
• Hazardous household waste, antifreeze, ( Clean Sweep, St. Croix County)
• Medical waste, (sharps can go to Hudson, River Falls or Baldwin hospitals.)
• Electronics, florescent bulbs,( E-Cycling, 381-5900 or St Croix Electric, 796-7000
• Construction and Demolition debris, ( rent a dumpster)
• Bulk Trash, (TNT’s Ellsworth, 1-866-919-2646; they take anything for a fee.)
When the above listed items are left at the center, the township pays to have them hauled away to appropriate locations so every citizen pays for those who don’t follow the rules. If we all follow the rules of the recycling center we can all enjoy its use and the ability to become more “green” in our everyday lives. Please stop by during open hours and check the center out. It’s a wonderful addition to our community!