Home : Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I have a zoning question, who should I contact?
A: The Town of Kinnickinnic follows St Croix County Zoning.  www.sccwi.gov

You may also contact the Town Clerk, Nicky Thompson, 715-425-8082 or the Town Chair, Jerry Olson, 715-307-4627

Q. I would like to burn, where and how do I get a permit?
A:  Please call non-emergency dispatch and let them know you would like to burn and follow these rules:   1) only clean wood products are allowed, no garbage (2) If you live near the County line you must call both counties.
There is a $800 charge if the fire dept responds to a fire call.
Call county dispatch at St Croix 386-4701...Pierce 273-5051
In case of emergency call 911     

Q:  What are the regular office hours at the Town Hall?
A:  Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am to 2 pm. 

Town Board meetings are the first Tuesday of the month at 7:00pm. 

Plan Commission meetings are the third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 pm. 

Road Committee meetings are usually the third Wednesday of the month at 4:00pm.

Other special meetings, and all town meetings will be posted.

Q: If I can’t make the meetings how do I get information regarding what is happening in the town?
A:  Town announcements, agendas, and news are posted in three places in the Township.  One on the front door of the Town Hall, one on the post board at the end of the driveway and on the website.

Q: Do I need to register to vote whether I’ve lived in the township for either 1 or 50 plus years?
A:  Yes, Governor Doyle has passed a new law regarding voter registration and all residents, need to register to vote.  You will need to fill out a form and show proof of residency.  If you have not registered to vote please do so during regular office hours.  If you have not registered and there is an election, please come vote, we can register before you vote.    Photo ID is now a law for all elections.

Q:  How do I make an “OPEN RECORD” request?
A:  There are two ways to make a request, in writing to the Clerk or electronically over e-mail. If you would like copies of your request they are $.25 a side.
         1. any person can make a request
         2. the record or information sought is reasonably described
         3. the subject matter is reasonably limited
         4. the length of time represented by the record is reasonable
         5. records may be viewed during regular office hours 9am-2pm Tuesdays and Thursdays 
         6. a request will be filled as soon as practical.

Q: Can I rent the Town Hall for a family get together?
A:  Yes, the Town hall is rented to residents of Kinnickinnic for private parties.  The Hall cost $75 to rent.  There is a $200 damage deposit, which shall be returned after your party and clean up.  Call the Clerk 425-8082 to reserve your date.    

Q: How do I obtain a building permit from the Town?
A:  You can contact the Town Building Inspector, Brian Wert,  Monday – Friday, 7:30am – 9:00am at 715-386-5410 to discuss obtaining a building permit.  

Q:  How do I know if I need a building permit?
A: Building permits are required for new structures, additions to existing structures, and remodeling that involves structural changes or repairs(i.e. Moving walls, adding bathroom, increasing room size), exits, changes in use (i.e. unfinished basement to finished basements, creating bedrooms).  
Mechanical permits are required for furnace and air conditioner installation and replacement, electrical work (including electrical service upgrades) and plumbing repairs. Permits are “not” required for general maintenance and repairs. This includes siding, soffits and fascia, down spouts, painting, door and window replacement not involving a change in size, roofing, maintenance and repairs to plumbing appliances, furnaces, electrical equipment (i.e. changing light fixtures, switches, receptacles not involving new circuits or the extension of existing circuits etc.), replacement of plumbing faucets and fixtures “except” water heater replacement.  

Q:  What happens if I don’t take out a permit to do work and I have hired a contractor? (They wouldn’t do the work wrong would they?)
A:  Most contractors are accustomed to pulling permits and having their work inspected. Many contractors want their work inspected upon completion. This makes certain nothing was over looked and all building codes as well as health and safety issues have been checked.      
The property owner is ultimately responsible for code compliance. Usually code violations rear their ugly head when you have an insurance claim or are selling your property. Insurance adjusters, appraisers and pre purchase home inspectors usually will find substandard work that could hold up the sale of your property or getting a loan or collecting an insurance claim. Many times questionnaires from insurance companies or the property condition report required for the sale of your property will state “are there any code violations, written orders or work completed without the proper permits and inspections on this property”. Failure to answer them correctly could result in legal action which could be costly.